EXERCISING DURING A PANDEMIC
How is your exercise routine going?
Have you found it more challenging to stay motivated to exercise during a pandemic?
ABS Pilates of Sunbury, Ohio reopened last week. Most people were cautiously optimistic about returning to a regular exercise program outside of their home. However, the number one comment I heard was that it was very challenging to stay motivated to exercise independently during the quarantine. I totally agree!
While some people are very self-motivated and probably did quite well exercising daily on his/her own, others found that it was very challenging to maintain consistency when he/she had to organize and push himself/herself independently. Information suggests that most people simply did not make exercise a priority. This kind of thinking can quickly lead you down a path of illness and injury.
One of the most effective ways to fight off any illness (including COVID) is to eat healthy AND exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY!
WHY WORKOUT DURING A PANDEMIC?
Exercise has many benefits such as helping to prevent weight gain and depression. However, daily exercise can also lower your risk for developing:
- High Blood pressure and Heart Disease….just to name a few!
BUT….How Do I Workout Safely?
Ok, Ok….I know you already know the benefits of exercise, but you may be anxious about venturing out to a gym, health club or even a small studio like ABS Pilates. I totally understand!
HERE ARE A FEW WAYS YOU CAN EXERCISE OUTSIDE OF THE HOME AND STILL PROTECT YOURSELF AND OTHERS…..
- WASH YOUR HANDS ….wash them before you go, before class starts, after class is over and when you return home!
- EXERCISE WITH A SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE maintaining proper social distancing….you still get the camaraderie of others but not in crowded areas.
- WEAR A MASK when entering and exiting your place of exercise.
- DON’T GO IF YOU ARE SICK….do you have a cough, fever or are run down? You need to stay home so you can heal and to protect others.
- EXERCISE OUTSIDE OR in a Well Ventilated Area…..information suggests you are less likely to acquire a virus if you exercise in a well ventilated area.
- WORKOUT ONLINE…..If you are not quite ready to venture out in a pandemic, make sure you sign up for the ABS Pilates ONLINE library and schedule yourself to do a class every day!
I know right now the world is crazy and anxiety is high….HOWEVER, that is no excuse to slack on your routine. You must persevere and self-motivate….that is your best chance to stay physically and emotionally STRONG!
Now is the time to set yourself up
for success and practice your Pilates every single day!
Staying MOTIVATED to Exercise During a Pandemic
- STAY IN A ROUTINE….This is by far the best way to stay motivated.
- ENLIST THE CAMARADERIE OF OTHERS…Exercise with your family or meet a friend at a small exercise class. This helps in holding each other accountable.
- CHOOSE A VARIETY OF EXERCISE…Don’t just walk every day. Add variety…strength, cardio, Pilates…mix it up as “variety is the spice of life” and it keeps the body “guessing”, reduces boredom and injury.
- PUT YOUR TIME FOR EXERCISE ON THE CALENDAR AND STICK WITH IT….you are more likely to complete a task if you right it on your calendar.
- EXERCISE FOR YOUR LIFE NOT JUST FOR YOUR LOOK….if you do not exercise regularly you will loose strength, stamina and be more susceptible to injury and illness
- DON’T GIVE UP IF YOU STUMBLE….keep trying and trying again and again….you deserve it.
ABS Pilates is located in Sunbury, Ohio. It services the Sunbury, New Albany, Gahanna, Westerville, Johnstown and Columbus areas.
ABS Pilates offers in-studio Mat and Equipment-based Pilates for all levels of fitness.
ABS Pilates offers Online Mat Pilates for all levels of fitness.
All classes are taught by Amanda B. Smith, licensed physical therapist and certified Pilates instructor with more than 30 years of experience.